As part of our work in exploring how artists live, work and contribute in Birmingham and beyond, we’re teaming up with Grand Union to find new ways of supporting artists and projects in our region.
The PROPOSAL is a brand new event that brings together people who work in and support the arts, to crowdfund new projects. This is about supporting prototypes, ideas and plans to come into fruition.
5 artists/producers, selected from a shortlist, will present their proposals for an audience. The audience will vote on the project they want to win the fund. Collectively, we will find ways to offer support to all projects, through networks, alternative funding, suggestions and feedback.
We're excited to announce the shortlist for our inaugural event.
1. Laura Napier plans to collaborate with the Sassoon Academy for her project 'Conjoined Haircut', to celebrate, through an exploration of hair, a bond of grief with her brother.
2. Danni Ebanks-Ingram aims to document, devise and archive, while creating a space for the black British queer community with her project 'BBQ'.
3. The Catalyst Studios' new film project 'Ital Reign' is headed up by two young directors based in Newtown, Birmingham, supported by a local crew.
4. Adam Carver is a Birmingham-based theatre-maker and creative producer, with plans for a new solo-theatre project, 'Kath', exploring sexuality, shame, family, ageing and mental health.
5. Shaheen Kasmani plans to curate and host an exhibition featuring the work of Black British photographer Wasi Daniju, as well as the visual art of Birmingham-based women artists of colour.
Join us at Grand Union for 6pm on Wednesday 5th July and help us explore how we collectively support artists working locally.
Can't make it? You can still add to the crowdfund here: www.bhamproposal1.eventbrite.co.uk